If you think you or somone you know has experienced online abuse there are a number of support options available.
If you have been affected and receive an image or video which you believe is illegal, the advice from Police is to not send it to anyone but to save it and report the matter to Police as evidence.
Advice to keep safe online would suggest using multi character passwords, encrypting personal information that you are sharing and updating privacy settings on a regular basis. If you receive online abuse, please keep a record of the event and report it.
Advice for avoiding scams includes-
- Always hang up the call immediately;
- Always delete texts requesting personal information or bank account details;
- Never call the number back;
- Never click on links in text, or respond to unsolicited texts;
- Never transfer money to another account after receiving a call from someone you do not know.
Police Service of NI
Tel: 999 or 101 (non-emergency)
Victim Support NI- eCrime:
2nd floor Albany House,
73-75 Gt Victoria St,
Belfast BT2 7AF